These are the archives from 2010-2018 for the discussion forum hosted by the UNM Hobbit Society at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, NM, USA. The purpose of our group is to meet and associate with others interested in Tolkien, and to learn more about the author, his written works, and his sources through discussion, guest lectures and academically oriented activities. This blog is intended to expand discussion among UNM Hobbit Society members beyond what meeting times allow.
Saturday, December 1, 2018
Niggle's Lack of Companionship
All groups during yesterday's discussion, I felt, found that "Leaf by Niggle" is an intense representation of the human condition. This tale exemplifies a need for balance, an inablilty to find balance, collaboration, humility (or lack thereof), and obsession. However, I feel that it missed a huge component of the human condition: a need for companionship. People need companionship, whether it just be friends, colleagues, romantic partners, or anything else. "Leaf by Niggle" shows a super fun dichotomy between Niggle and Parish through their level of companionship. The tale presents Niggle as a lonely, bitter man. He doesn't just lack a wanting of interaction, he detests it. Parish, on the other hand is presented in an opposite fashion; he seems happier predominantly because of his wife, and cares for her very deeply. But as the story progresses, we see Niggle begin to crave set interactions, specifically while in the "hospital." When he is able to leave this "hospital" and find Parish, he enjoys the company, the understanding, the help, and everything else Parish is able to provide to him. But at no point did Niggle every really crave companionship the way that I feel would reflect the human condition. So I guess, I'm curious as to whether you think Niggle having craved companionship would have changed your interpretation of the story?
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.