Pages

Friday, November 30, 2018

Niggle: Mighty and Powerful Mini-God

I think, at this point, it is pretty much universally agreed on that the allegory of life, death, purgatory, and an afterlife in Leaf by Niggle is fairly obvious. Most people who read the story tend to interpret it this way at least. I certainly did reading it. My question to you is: does the fact that Niggle essentially creates his own afterlife affect how you view the spiritual cycle?

In virtually every mythology, the person who dies does not design their own hell or paradise, as only a deity or deities can create the unknown. Niggle is a sub-creator (or, as I like to think of him, a 'mini God'), and manages to create his own afterlife through his drawing, which does not fit into the narrative of a person experiencing life, death, and God's intended afterlife at all. I'd say this fact is one of the main reasons I personally cannot view Leaf by Niggle as a strict spiritual allegory as some people might. But I would like to hear other people's thoughts on Niggle's mini God status and how it fits in with your view of the work overall.

-Varda*

1 comment:

Ulmo said...

I think that a sub-creator is, by definition, a “mini God” like you say, in Tolkien’s worldview. Essentially, it’s called sub-creation because it’s a person following in the footsteps of a creator God. This reflects the Bible where it says man was made in the image of God - so attributes like Creativity are in imitation of God.
I wouldn’t say that Niggle designs his own afterlife, rather the point is that he goes on to continue sub-creating after his death. I think Tolkien’s trying to say that sub-creation is an eternal calling rather than something that will be done once people die. It reflects the last lines in “Mythopoeia” about the poets in “Paradise.” So I think that aspect of the story still fits well with an allegorical reading.

~Ulmo

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.