Pages

Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Aragorn Enters His City_ Relevance Post

In "Houses of Healing", the battle of Gondor is over and Strider is taking his place as King. In doing so, he interestingly presents the green Elfstone that he received from Galadriel to symbolize authority. He then also uses Athelas to begin to healing the wounded around the city.

First, I find it interesting that he chooses the Elfstone to project his authority, even though that isn't where his claim to Gondor arises. I think there is something to be said about the union of peoples/ diversification as a symbol of healing and therefore, of hope. Tolkien consistently has characters from other, sometimes opposing species supporting each other against evil. I believe this is a message regarding the hope of uniting peoples against forces of despair. Strider heals everyone using many skills--sometimes Elven in nature, the Hobbits pick of arms to help Man. Elves and Dwarves can unite against evil. Interestingly, Tolkien has his characters (at least the protagonists) air on the side of  helping each other despite race/ species issues. I feel like there is more to be said about Strider's choice in presenting the Elfstone, but I can't think of any other symbolism for this that is as important.

I feel like this is relevant to contemporary society in the sense that we rely on each other, often people with completely different skill sets and identities (think international trade, immigrant labor, getting help from people on the opposite side of the political spectrum) to help us in everyday life and especially in trying times. Our nation and others often rely on each other to pull ourselves out of trying times or to help in times of warfare or great poverty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.