Pages

Sunday, November 18, 2018

Did Frodo Succeed or Fail?

We talked about this in class and I thought it might be a good idea to follow up on it.

Our group made the point that when Frodo is unable to let go of the Ring at the Cracks of Mount Doom, Tolkien didn't necessarily intend for him to succeed or fail. We made a kind of t-chart, so that's what I'll be writing down here.


  • Frodo Succeeded
    • Only ever said he would take the Ring as far as he could: succeeded in that way
    • Treatment of Frodo in Gondor indicates high honor as the Ringbearer
    • Able to go West
    • Spared Gollum
  • Frodo Failed
    • No one can succeed against the Ring
    • Tries to keep the Ring for himself
    • The Shire recognizes Merry and Pippin but not Frodo
    • Injury indicates a personal feeling of failure for Frodo
Either way, Frodo (and all of the hobbits) represent us, the readers. If he had succeeded fully, he would transcend us.

2 comments:

Uinen said...

Vána,

I really enjoyed the use of the T-chart, in class and here! I think understanding Frodo in this way helps build a basis that allows for deeper analysis of Frodo. I think your closing statement that Frodo represents us is an interesting and important view of the character. I think we often take on different aspects of each character, but Frodo resonates most deeply in all of us because he struggles the way we struggle. I don't really know if I think he failed or succeeded, and I couldn't quite tell you why, but I don't believe this is the right way to assess him. Is there something that isn't failure or success in this case?

I like your post and I think this is a good way to understand Frodo, but I would love to hear what you think of a different way to assess his actions.

Uinen

Vána said...

Uinen,

I agree with your thought that we should be approaching Frodo from a different view that isn't success vs. failure. I think maybe, off the top of my head, we might view him as a hard worker, someone who sacrifices himself wholly for the greater good. I'm not quite sure how to say what I mean, here, but the effort needs to be acknowledged.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.