Pages

Monday, November 5, 2018

Entwives

I greatly enjoyed learning more about the Ent race during class time last week, and find is specifically interesting that the female Ents, the Entwives, have somehow disappeared. In The Two Towers, this is something that Treebeard explains. I did a little more research about the Entwives and just thought I would share it here. The Entwives were created by Yavanna along with their male counterparts, the Ents. The Entwives left the Ents in order to start a garden in the Brown Lands before the Third Age, as they preferred to look after smaller plants such as bushes, fields, fruits, flowers, and vegetables. The Male ents were responsible for caring for the larger trees, which they strongly resembled. When Treebeard went looking for the Entwives, he could not find them. It is never explained what exactly happened to them in any of Tolkien's literature, but it is assumed that this is something Tolkien wanted to leave as a mystery, but it is possible they were destroyed along with their gardens following the rise of Sauron. The Entwives have a very unique mythology because their destruction is never explained and they were truly interesting and beautiful creatures.

-Melian

2 comments:

Aulë said...

I agree that the disappearance of the entwives is very mysterious, but I believe that it is just another element of myth making somethings just have to remain unexplained. I also feel that Tolkien needed to get rid of the Ents somehow in order to get to modern time, since Ents do not exist any longer, but he could not make them leave with the Elves or the Maiar because they belong to this realm and he did not want the Ents to be defeated because of what they represent. So the easiest way is to get rid of their wives so they can't reproduce, I am aware that is not tree do not reproduce but remember Ents are not trees they just look like trees, they're also not C.S. Lewis either.

Vána said...

I've heard from one of our classmates that the Entwives were meant to represent all of the women in World War One who were victims of rape. It puts a different kind of perspective on the Ents, and I wonder what that says about TreeBeard.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.