Pages

Friday, December 7, 2018

Tolkien's Stand Alone Stories

In this post I'd like to briefly reflect upon the stand alone stories from the Silmarillion that were edited and published by Christopher Tolkien in recent years. At this point I have read The Children of Húrin, The Fall of Gondolin and most of Beren and Lúthien.

First of all, if you're looking to continue an in depth exploration of Middle-earth, these books are a good place to do it. The Children of Húrin reads like a novel the whole way through. This makes it more enthralling because details are included in this version that were not mentioned in the Silmarillion. The Fall of Gondolin and Beren and Lúthien are comprised of multiple different versions of these stories. I especially enjoyed reading what Tolkien had in mind for Tuor's story in The Fall of Gondolin, before it was cut short during a difficult time in Tolkien's life. Still, that small chunk of very detailed story enriched my understanding and imagining of this epic story.

I would encourage you to go spend the $20-25 one of these books costs or ask Santa Claus for them. They are well worth the read.

-Vairë

1 comment:

Aulë said...

I agree, I have only read The Children of Hurin and it is a very good read. Incredibly tragic story but in good Tolkien fashion inspirational and with an upwards note. An option if you do not want to spend your own money on these books is to borrow them from Hobbit Society next semester since we are ordering a copy of each and they will be available to students in Dr. Donovan's office.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.