Journey of the Entwives: An Epyllion
Merry and Pippin walked along, and they
found the old tree, so he hummed
them a song. Treebeard they called him; he spoke
of when Ents were free. Entlings
and Entwives used to be. But then…
The evil one they call by the name of Sauron
grew power and forces
in order that he may dismantle all races and
rule all places.
Times were bleak.
Second age, darkest days, Elves with the Men,
they say, fighting on, steadfast.
And in their minds, with him—tyranny, slavery, subversion,
downfall.
They fought for all they fought.
Greatest since Valinor, strength they had; peoples
free, banners high, the likes
never seen, until one thinks of the War of the Ring
that will befall
an era late.
Well, in the end, they did intend to destroy
the one they call Sauron.
However, greed of Men did by that time, take the
strength that they had left.
Virtue failed but the One Ring remained; Elves
and Men defeated.
The Ring would lure and taint the heart of any
saint and in the end destroy
for the will of said Sauron; it would still go
on and bring men to their fate—
damnation.
After
the Fall of the last of the Alliance, dread in death, maids passed
out
of the niche that they created—garden
greens gasping through slaughter.
Where’d they go?
Presuming death, or by chance that they ran off
to lands unknown—vanished—
Entwives had disappeared. Ent men, now worry
struck, went off to find them,
searching far.
They looked where sun should shine beyond the forest
lines, hill tops and grasses.
They searched where Autumn fields fawned and
the fruits grew in plenty and order.
Where’d they go?
They looked in pasture and plain, by soft trickling
streams, overgrown moss and
where anything beautiful may like to live and to
view all of nature.
Where’d they go?
Years had passed, despite Ent’s best to go find
their fair maidens—pure despair.
Amidst his tale, he grew weary and sad, but he reveled
in old times.
“Ah! The loveliness of Fimbrethil…”
Recalling his Entmaid, Fangorn did name her as Wandlimb
the light-foot.
He said they housed amidst each other and walked
along each other, full of love.
Fimbrethil, where did you venture?
So, we see how now the Ents are like us. They
fall to love and dreaming.
The men, they wander, and the women make plenty
and order of nature.
Together they keep the earth.
Again, Fangorn continued his tale and told of
how land was now barren.
For the Ents once learned how to care for the
grounds, but time withers all things.
Entwives work became known as Brown Lands.
Where’d they go? Question now old and the memories
now fading, murky.
That now it’s hard for the old Fangorn to guess
at what Entwives are like.
This is where our story begins.
Entwives fair, fresh, and fine, their golden leaves
make a glimmering, Fall crown.
Their eyes are like those of timeless wells of
the Ents. Where deep sea, bright eyes
ripple and end, rosy red apple cheeks begin,
and beauty does extend.
For although one could guess that in the distraught
mess made by Men and Elves,
the Entwives died along with lives they made in
tender little bush and brush,
their heartbreak found them in need so great to
escape timely fate.
The beating, bashing, and burning of the work
of their tree-like hands hurt
them to their core and they met in the glade
where the saddest of days left
the smell of burning young Ent-babe in the air.
They spoke like thunder through the plunder of
their lives as they had known them.
The anger filled words did rush forth in booming
long echoes and great tears.
It was leave or die.
In their great despair, their beautiful golden
hair fell out and the red
apples fell from their cheeks. They were left with
nothing but a small twinkle—
hope in their lovely eyes.
Inspired by the Ent men they discussed the chance
to wander in Middle-earth.
The men did frequently venture the woods and
the valleys, so maybe
they could too.
They took a small vote, and with total consensus,
they were off to find
a place of rest and all pleasantness where they
could garden and sort with
no bit of interruption.
So, they went through the realm, and some of the
regions. They saw some of great
Eriador, Rivendell was the best. They passed by new Bree-land, and later
saw Rhovanion.
They noted the places where they liked it best.
They thought they’d go visit
at some point in many years to come. The world
is just changing, and it
won’t ever stop.
They went ‘round to Rhûn, and then Harad. Through travel they saw all and they
went to no end. They saw mountains of Amon Hen—the
Blue, Grey, Ered, and
Misty Mounts.
They saw all rivers which we have heard of
since then: Anduin,
Bruinen, Baranduin. They saw great men’s
work and left again: Arnor,
Esgaroth, Gondor, and Helm’s Deep.
They remarked on the great fields where blood had
been spilled. They gazed at the wild
waters in complete awe. For such old creatures, they hadn’t had much
joy
from travel, but now they understood.
A new-found gladness for the Ents they had left
too far; they had learned what
it takes to walk quite so far. Still, they preferred
their happy plants and they
missed their clean pastures.
They continued…
But in all of these they weren’t found. So,
where did they go to? No ground?
Well that’s what they wanted us all to think
and they knew a place that we
had forgot about.
A place where they felt quite at home with no
sign of damage or danger.
Where nobody had ventured—Elf, man, or any
Dwarf. No signs of Goblins,
no evil intent.
There was no chance of that cruel Sauron’s grasp
and they knew that at worst, he’d
overlook their new nest. Their saplings, bushes, and berries would all
be
safe. No ill will to leaf existed.
This place was like Bree-land, a happy new
tree-land. The people there small,
the like of tree-friend. They liked to mold, to
garden, to sculpt, and soon they found
they liked them the most.
At first, they were scared that these halflings
were some Orc. They hobbled along,
they made fires for their warmth. But the maids
had gone far and had learned patience.
So they sat and waited.
They watched these small creatures for years,
as it seemed. But nothing changed, not one
little thing. These Hobbits, as they were called,
were quite funny, quite comely—
much like them.
They liked their order, their fruits, and their
food. They liked green grass, tall trees and some minimal weeds. They liked mushrooms
and three meals a day. They liked fine things: utensils and spoons.
These little people did rush around. Although
they were sneaky, they could
not notice the Entwives, not even when they
would walk about. Hobbits
were cute and silly small creatures.
The Entwives had no fear of being found out.
The Halflings would catch small
glimpses of Ents but they’d brush it off as being
in their small heads. Entwives
found it to be better here than any other
place.
Still, while they got along swell in this small
little town, there were times when the
Entwives had been tested their best. A few
small Tooks, some silly little
Brandybuck’s too, would find some ways to
dismay the great Entwives. Sometimes
they’d chop trees for no good reason.
Other times, they’d pick fruit out of their seasons.
They’d build their great small houses
in the maids’ favorite hills.
But if they wanted to stay secret, the Entwives
had to zip it. For while
the Hobbits weren’t too keen, after time they would
start to think that some
trees took to moving and gardens did not need
grooming.
It was here that they stayed, forever and a day. This place called “The Shire”.
It was here that they stayed, forever and a day. This place called “The Shire”.
If truth be told, they liked this place far better
than where they’d come. Although
their lost friends, the Ent men, they missed
best.
However, not unlike human maids, the Entwives preferred
a safe place
for their babes. See, although they loved all Entlings much, they
were drawn to all
life, to all nature’s spawn.
They preferred not to have children to harm, so
in leaving the men, they
prevented great alarm. They’d bare no more children;
they’d rather tend to grains.
They favored farming while on great plains.
Now you’d think things would get pretty dull, but
the truth is that it was not
like that at all. See, while the Entwives lived
in the Shire, the small Hobbits
prospered and the Entwives rested.
Time went on and soon, just like the Ents, the
Entwives forgot what the Ents
were like, and over time, the pain from their
past was dulled and numb. They were
grateful for time’s toll on memory.
They had been quite happy in the Shire, and to
a trained eye they would’ve
been seen next to each crop, turn in the road,
and on every lawn peering
down on each little, red garden rose.
Due to the lack of some inquiry from boring and
little Hobbits,
they saw no need to go about with discretion. They could live freely.
An Entwife wouldn’t be in the same place each
day.
Sadly, times have always gone on to change in
our Middle-earth. Just as
in other parts of the world, Ents began to
become far more like tree-breeds.
The wives lost more of each other with each
day.
Where their leaves had come back and their ripe
apples had grown, they lost their form.
They could not move, speak, or work on their homes.
One by one, they turned
into trees; few remained.
By this time, the Hobbits had learned how to
care for their land in spectacular ways.
The maids had just watched them for a few decades.
With the maids leave, no things
had really changed.
But the few Entmaids had decided to travel away
from the Shire—
or so the old tales say. Their options were
open and the time was ample.
Such old life can hardly feel pressured by
time.
Besides, they had found that they missed the great
travel. Some felt that there had
to be more in life than just swaying, no
baffle. Some wives just didn’t
recover from losing their lovers or their
homes.
Nobody really knows where the maids went from
there. Most assume they went,
Fimbrethil as the lead, on another journey
through Middle-earth. But some
others think that on the way, they joined the likeness
of the forest.
Maybe these could be the reasons the Ent men
did not find them. The maids
had broken all of their expectations on where
to look to find them. Most
also did not look like Entwives, as they once
did.
It is thought that perhaps many Entwives have
become trees with few bits of
character, and the main issue with that is that
one can’t tell one tree
from the next of them.
Regardless of actions that some trees can take,
they no longer have eyes
deep as lakes. The Ents, they are rooted. Their feet and hands turn still— silence.
Entwives lose their female features.
So even if you were to come across a cross
tree, you’d never know who
it could be. From Entmaid, to Entlings, even Ent King, no
one could ever see
who may be underneath.
There are quite a few folks who don’t think that
the Ent women went on. But
others, the Ent men too, think that they had
simply decided to leave.
Such quick wits and knack for life could not be
so soon defeated.
In many ways, it seems that the maids were like
the Hobbits. They favored
simple things in life and were quick, smart enough
to adventure. It seems that
every time an Entwife or a small Hobbit just vanishes,
its planned.
They ponder, they lament. Even for all of their
apparent wit, they
give good mind to each new experience. They are quick to take an action.
They won’t fail to put forth effort.
In many ways, it seems that the Entmaids were
not at all the same as Ents.
They were bright, quick, and most beautiful. They
gave more time to life to prove
its great worth—despite being an Elf, Dwarf, or
Hobbit.
It was in knowing this of their fair maidens
that the Ent men never
gave up on the great hunt. One could say that
even when they lost all strength to
find them, the men still had hope.
In this way, the Entwives, no matter where they
went, would never pass on.
Whatever became of them, they live on in the memory
of Ents. They surpass the ages.
Fimbrethil, where did you venture?
As for me, I like to think that the fairest of maids
remained behind.
I’d like to think that they withstood all time,
even if just in their tree-form.
I think they’d enjoy a day in the sun with
small birds nesting on them.
Perhaps there’s one right by my front lawn ensuring
that the grass gets more
than enough to drink. Or maybe they planted
that small budding tree. Indeed,
maybe they know how we grew a large celery tree.
Maybe they came to our school to see if men
stayed the same, all full of
greed. I can imagine them getting annoyed and downtrodden
till they
see our geese!
I think they’d be helpful, like some sort of
guardian angel. Maybe that’s what
Tolkien thought when he made Hobbits so much
like us. He knew we liked food—
enough for a few meals.
He knew we liked plants and other nice, pretty
things. He thought we would like
any great adventure. So why not write us with tree
friend to treasure?
The real thing to ask then, is not what became
of the great Ent maids, but
to ask what their purpose was. Were they meant
to get more of us tree-hugs?
Or maybe they are a metaphor for caring for the
earth.
I think the Entmaids are a symbol of change. Their
sad disappearance leaves us
pondering an escape. No one likes to believe that they hold any
sort of personal
responsibility for the fate of our world.
We like to believe that life carries on despite
what we do to stop
it. We think that our acts, designed to liberate
us, will not present
a future of bondage for all life.
So by the end of the Lord of the Rings, when
men rise up and defend
what they stand for, we try to make right the
loss of Entmaid and
fair Elf.
“They went to a better place.”, if a better
place is found at the end
of despair. When good things are consumed by fire, greed, or
pride; when evil
drives you off as one other refugee.
Tolkien love the earth, and all the life in it.
He thought integration was best
for any one being. Coming from war, he knew how hard it is
to act out against a system. He showed us the
consequences
associated with success-- another one oppressed.
Where’d they go?
Explanatory
Essay: Journey of the Entwives
Writing this short narrative in epic
poem form was an interesting and daunting experience. For one, I have never had
much experience trying to work with a poetic format, and for another, I found
it challenging to write about something that wasn’t supposed to have taken
place. The Entwives, according to Tolkien, were supposed to have passed away
after the War of the Last Alliance (Tolkien Gateway 1). Building off Tolkien’s
work in a way that he may not have intended is perhaps more scary and
challenging terrain than I would have anticipated.
In the beginning, I was torn between creating a
comic of “Journey of the Entwives” in order to capture humor and satire. I
thought that a comic would allow for me to poke fun at the this seemingly
singular disparity in Tolkien’s work and the fact that the Ents simply could
not figure out what had become of the Entwives. To me, this was something I
could look at from a humorous perspective, however dark it would be. How could
it be that such old and wise creatures couldn’t put two and two together to
find their women? I thought it would be fun to create a comic in which the
Entwives purposely eluded the Ents, demonstrating a sense of intellectual
superiority. I decided, for various reasons that I will discuss shortly, to go
with my other idea: a more tragic and concerning poem format.
As I have never worked with poems
for creating a story, I had to do a little bit of research into what type of
poem might fit into this particular storyline. Ultimately, I learned more about
the epic poem in dactylic hexameter. Not only are epic poems classic for the
English language, which I felt would be somewhat respectful to Tolkien, but
these (like Homer’s works) tend to demonstrate a storyline of exile, a journey
or quest, and then a return home or some sort of inspirational transformation
(of course paying homage to the protagonist’s morals/ culture). I felt that
this would be perfect for “Journey of the Entwives” as I wanted to discuss the
reason for their leaving, their adventures and hunt for a new home, and wanted
to discuss how their character would have been changed or had some sort of
relationship to readers. Of course, because I had a difficult time trying to
extend my poem to even the minimum ten pages, and ten pages isn’t nearly enough
to be considered a traditional epic poem, this project is really an epyllion,
or a notably short epic poem.
As previously mentioned, I also had to learn about writing in
dactylic hexameter (“Dactylic Hexameter”). I will admit that I don’t believe I
did this as well as I would have liked, but I am pleased with what I was able
to do after just learning about this form of writing and practicing it for the
first time. I know that in epic poems, there is no apparent need for rhyme, but
I found it extremely difficult to avoid when writing in dactylic hexameter. Because
of this, I recognize that there had been quite a few spots where things sound
repetitive. However, it was difficult to find other words that would continue
to follow dactylic hexameter without the use of a thesaurus.
In so far as storyline, I wanted to be inventive and
entertaining while also adhering to Tolkien’s tradition of having some sort of
utility for his work. I have always been moved by how considerate Tolkien was
in observing nature and human social relationships. I wanted to encompass his
passion for diversity and tolerance, while simultaneously creating reverence
for life that was not only central to the Ent experience, but was, as we know,
very critical to Tolkien’s personal life as well. This is why the Entwives give
other life more of an opportunity to prove or disprove itself in my poem. With
any work that I do in college, I want there to be an underlying meaning and
purpose to feel like it is worth it at the end of the day, even if my work is
not quite masterful in nature. It is for this reason as well that an epyllion
seemed to be the best method as opposed to a comic.
My primary inspiration for the storyline came from the fourth
chapter of the third book of Lord of the Rings (LOTR), in which Merry and Pippin
meet and talk with Treebeard (Tolkien 461-487). In this passage, Treebeard
briefly introduces the Hobbits and the readers to Entwives for the first time. Treebeard
talks about how beautiful they were, and taking his description of the Entwives
(Tolkien 475) as well as Pippin’s description of Ents as he had encountered
them (Tolkien 463), proved to be all the inspiration that I had needed in order
to formulate an image of what an Entwife would look like: golden crown of
leaves, apple cheeks, and beautiful deep eyes. In the same description given by
Treebeard, he talks about the deep compassion that the Entwives had for all
living creatures and for fair things. This was integral in my formulation of
the Entwives’ personalities and “culture” as is deemed necessary in epic poems.
I also paid close attention to Treebeard’s passionate
insistence that the Entwives didn’t die (Tolkien 475), almost as if he were in
denial, and used that to further develop the controversial “ifs” and “buts” of
what may or may not have happened to the Entwives as well as using this to give
me a reason to suspect that the Ents would never give up hope in finding the
Entwives—even if there had been no more logical reason for them to believe they
would ever meet again. While this undying love would have made it incredibly
easy to make this poem more romantic, I did my best to incorporate a reasonable
amount of romance so as to not diminish the importance later placed on
humanities acceptance of the role that they play in changing the planet.
Still, given Tolkien’s reputation for pulling all of the
elements of his world into one cohesive story, I thought it would be a good
idea for me to attempt to talk about the war behind the disappearance of the
Entwives (Lord of the Rings Wiki) as well as specific areas that the Entwives
may have gone in Middle-earth. I gave as cohesive a history of the War of the
Last Alliance as I could and used men’s greed (and failure to destroy the Ring)
as a way of tying the beginning of the poem (actions) to the end of the poem
(consequences). While I feel poorly about not being able to discuss the
timeline of the Entwives’ travels or what locations the Entwives visited first
or last due to my own personal time restrictions for this project, I still had
to exercise what I can only describe as an apologetic muscle in literature.
I had to increase, at
least moderately, the believability and reliability of my epyllion (especially
since I was supposed to be adding to Tolkien’s mythology) for my audience. In
so doing, I increased my own reputability (even though I still don’t believe I
did it very effectively) and meant to increase the pull my story had on readers
without bogging them down with information that was hard for the non-expert
mind to follow. Therefore, in a sense, I believe that failing to specify a
timeline or any sequential list of travel and visitation the Entwives
experienced, I kept this epyllion simple and easy for the mind to follow; a
trait that is often lost when trying to follow some of Tolkien’s nearly
scientifically pinpointed works. Because I am extremely unfamiliar with the
landscapes and terrain in Tolkien’s works, I turned to online fan-pages to help
inform myself (“Middle-earth Locations”).
At numerous points in this semester (in fact, there are so
many that it is difficult to pinpoint when we discussed these matters), our
class talked about the importance of creating a fully comprehensive world and
culture in Tolkien’s mythology. Tolkien typically never left a single leaf
unturned and often failed to leave any imagination to his readers by providing
language, history, maps, music, and visual art to complete his stories and the
history of his creations. In very few areas, do I believe there is much freedom
to expand on the myth, and when there is, the challenge is great because of the
standards that one feels they have to live up to and because of all of the
information that one has to incorporate from Tolkien’s various works to ensure
that the creative mind and ideas don’t contradict the other happenings in
Tolkien’s world. Simultaneously meeting these requirements and also attempting
to respect Tolkien’s reverence for English literature, nature, and diversity
was very challenging. I feel that I was equally influenced by LOTR and by
fan-pages that helped me fill in knowledge gaps that would have taken me a
decade to fill in had I needed to read all of the Tolkien’s letters and notes
single-handedly. While I wish I could have shown greater mastery of the epic
poem, of simple word choices, and of Tolkien’s Middle-earth, I feel that I
learned a great deal by picking and choosing which information I would use to
inspire and radiate throughout my own work.
Works Cited
Lord
of the Rings Wiki. “War of the Last Alliance.” Wikia, Retrieved 28 Nov. 2018,
Tolkien
Gateway. “Entwives.” Tolkien Gateway,
Retrieved 28 Nov. 2018,
Tolkien,
J. R. R. The Two Towers: Being the Second
Part of The Lord of the Rings. Harper
Collins Publishers, 2012.
Wikipedia.
“Dactylic Hexameter.” Wikipedia, 17
Nov. 2018,
Wikipedia.
“Middle-earth Locations.” Wikipedia,
20 Jan. 2018.
2 comments:
Thanks for posting this! I am so impressed by your poem. I thought your expansion of this story made a lot of sense. I found the way you wrote about the Entwives living in the Shire particularly creative but also logical. I also liked that you seamlessly transitioned into talking about your own personal experiences with the Entwives. That was a great way to end the poem and one which was surprising but delightful. Great job!
-Vairë
I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS. Though I will admit I am slightly biased because I am obsessed with the Entwives and I welcome any and all theories. I agree with the take on them living in the Shire, but I want to expand simply based on my own thoughts... There isnt any solid proof behind this, and unfortunately we will never find any in this line of exploration since Tolkien himself had no definitive answers.
My theory is that perhaps the Entwives stayed in the Shire area but instead of becoming Huorns, they began to transition/evolve into a different figure altogether... HOBBITS. This is of course, a bit of a stretch, but think about it. There is no definitive origin of the Hobbits and Fallohides are known for being taller and fairer than the Stoors and Harfoots. All Hobbits love to take care of the land, especially gardening and felt very connected to it. SOund familiar? That's because the Entwives are described in almost the same manner. Further evidence is the fact that Sam mentions a couple of times that he has seen tree-like creatures around the Shire, and he does not say that they feel hostile, the way Merry did in reference to other trees that they came across.
Alternatively, it is possible that they are forever gone and simply serve as a metaphor for all of the women left behind and used as collateral damage in many wars. They are the voiceless victims of the evil that humanity is capable of. They are the innocence that is stripped away by imbalances of power, and it is what we lament the most once the smoke has cleared. The missing Entwives mean no more sapplings and an uncertain future; they are an analogy for the unfortunate reality that we must face even today... But we mustface uncertainty head on, and like the remaining Ents, we must make one final atttempt to set things right.
In any case, I find this species fascinating. And they serve as a very interesting addition and symbol, even if there is no straight answer about their whereabouts or fate.
{Nienna}
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.