Pages

Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Tolkien and dedications

I know we have talked about characters in Tolkien's works reflecting his experiences and being representations of the people he cared about. Yet I have spun it round and round in my head and come to the conclusion that he leaves a lot of them out. As far as I can tell, there are no characters who are Middle-earth versions of Hilary, or any of his children. This struck me as odd since many of these stories were told to his children. One would think that a child would enjoy hearing about themselves being a hero in a mythical land, yet Tolkien (as far as we know) seems to have not even considered doing so. Did he not deem it necessary to immortalize his lifelong companion or children? Or did he simply have no interest in integrating everyone from his life into his world?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.