This past month has been one of the busiest and most meaningful experiences in my life. I was able to travel multiple times, see different groups of people doing what they love, and it all reminded me of Tolkien's work. For years, before I left for a trip, I would excitedly tell anyone who was listening that "I'm going on an adventure!" Up until recently, I didn't fully grasp where the phrase came from nor the enormity of an adventure that it represented. But, as we enter December and the craziness of my past month is settling, I feel a bit like I imagine Bilbo felt after he came home.
I wasn't originally excited for the different trips and experiences planned because I like staying in my dorm and working on things quietly. But, as the different events got closer, I got excited about the traveling and visiting. I traveled with my best friend and we got to see a Bishop seated, a concert for my friend's favorite band, had Thanksgiving at home and capped off the month by seeing one of our closest friends earn the title of Marine. Coming home after seeing our Marine has made me feel especially close to Bilbo.
There was so much that I went through, that I enjoyed the lead-up to and the in-the-moment feelings, that being back home and in my room feels strange. I think this is how Bilbo felt. Like there is this hole where excitement and danger and yearning should be and is not. I wonder if it is specific events in our lives that make us feel this way because even though most of my trips were short, I still feel this type of emptiness. Perhaps I should find an heir to pass my blog posts on to! What do you guys feel when you come home after trips? And what about the trip made you feel that way?
1 comment:
This is very relatable so thanks for posting! I too have felt this same emptiness after fast paced trips and adventures. In May I traveled to Ireland by myself. Not only was I alone but I it was my first time out of the country. In the week leading up to the trip I noticed more clearly than ever how comfortable I was at home and I half wished I could stay a little longer because the unknowns of my upcoming adventure were intimidating. The trip was amazing but exhausting and when I got home I was relieved but I also felt that same, "what do I do with myself" kind of feeling. I believe Tolkien channeled this feeling perfectly into his works and it is one of the reasons they are so enjoyable to read over and over again.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.