Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Why I am Beorn- relevance post

One of the most memorable minor characters in The Hobbit is the skin-walker Beorn. Reading the scene for me was whimsical because I could perfectly visualize it in my head. While Beorn was a minor character he was one of the most memorable characters for me. He stood out to me because of his harsh and distrustful nature. These two very evident characteristics are very relatable to me. I feel that I am often a very direct person with the comments I make and they can rub people the wrong way making me come off as harsh. I don’t hold tend to hold back when giving people my opinion. I also do not reply kindly to silly small talk. I very much enjoy the scene where Gandalf cleverly manipulates the story in order to get all the dwarves safely inside Beorn’s home. Beorn’s replies are straightforward and he often does not return the dwarves favor. I am also distrustful and adverse to the idea of having the guest in my house because I enjoy my solitude and often prefer the company of animals to that of the human. Like Beorn, I also enjoy a good story and nature. I am not interested in material goods outside of what is necessary for a comfortable life. My ideal home would be simple, far from people, and close to the woods. The final reason I love and identify with Beorn is that while harsh in his ways his heart is in the right place.

2 comments:

Manwë said...

While I share your opinions about being "harsh" and rubbing people the wrong way. I find that you missed a very important part of his character as well as your own. Beorn, while he may never have exactly warm and fuzzy with our dwarves and Bilbo, he did warm up to them as much as he could. He became, in my opinion, more trusting with them for a short period. Which, as I see it, makes the trust significantly stronger. I feel that the same could probably be said about your personality as well, this however is just a guess.

Tulkas said...

I do not relate to every characteristic of Beorn such as his massive confidence and carefree attitude. I respect Beorn's ability to talk with an unknown wizard who approached and not fear any sort of danger to himself. He has a confidence that he will be safe no matter what is thrown his way. The carefree attitude I feel is very similar to Shelob. Both of them are focused on themselves first and generally don't care about anything else (except for Beorn with his animals). Beorn obviously is gentler than Shelob but this doesn't mean he is friendly.
What I can relate to regarding Beorn is his independent nature and his ability to warm up to people. I am shy by nature and thus I'm fine with being by myself and thinking about various things. When I get over my shyness though, I am plenty sociable. Similar to Beorn I need to warm up to people before I will interact with them fully and before I will be hospitable as a friend as he is with the dwarves.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.