Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2018

Orcs: More than Evil?

If Melkor created the Orcs to be his servant-like slave race as an affront to the Elves and the Valar, do you think they are evil like Melkor or did they have a choice in what they are? I would have to believe that they were created like the other races and therefore have the capacity to be more than evil creatures. They are a race they have no say as far as the way they act or what they can do. They are serving Melkor in fear and resentment for having to do so. So, if they resent Melkor and resent having to be slaves of his, can they change their essence and their characters and become something more, something better? What would happen if Orcs could create beauty like the other races? What would happen if Orcs started creating art, creating poetry, creating song? Would they not be evolving into something better, something more than just a race to be used as slaves and fodder for death? I guess what I am asking is what would happen if Orcs started using freewill and deciding things for themselves and not under the dictatorship of an evil being like Melkor? Freewill is the essence of all beings and is necessary for the evolution of a race to become better than they once were. So, are Orcs evil beings as an entire race or our they misguided and therefore have that chance of redemption and become something that others could never think of them being?

3 comments:

Jessecca M.R. Nevers said...

Hey,

I really like and agree with your interpretation of the text and of Orc behavior. I also noticed on a few occasions, orcs do seem to be very unhappy with their lot in life and having to follow evil leaders. As far as your question, I instantly started to think about minority populations in the United States. This is because of the treatment of minority groups as far as where they are to live, what jobs they are likely to be given, how the world views them, and whether they themselves believe that the laws in place are morally just for all groups of people. We see that African Americans are often limited to certain jobs (less likely to have the power to break the mold), they are then likely to live in certain areas (often lacking in resources for education and full of poverty), and they therefore end up being participants in the "self-fulfilling prophecy" in which they seem to get the short end of the stick because they are unequally targeted for law violations and deviant behavior.
In the same way, I think Orcs, although obviously capable of and longing for a better existence, are limited by the other groups that exist because of expectations put on them. Where else are they to go? What other work could they have? Who will accept them without suspicion, and what laws or notions will give them the same rights as other groups?

Whitney Ricks said...

Such an interesting question!
So, what if Melkor doesn't have the power to give his creation freewill? In Christianity, one of the biggest struggles (as far as conceptualizing this idea) is accepting the idea that God both knows everything we will ever say or do and also gives us freewill to do it. This seems really strange to us as people, because we think, "How could God know what I'm going to do without preordaining me to do it?" The answer really lies in time: God is outside of time. He can see everything that we will do in our lifetime because it is all before Him in His "present," which is beyond our concept of time.

Ya, I know...*blowing minds right now*

Anyway...
If Melkor is himself created by something else, does he really carry the power to give freewill to the life he made? (Because, now that I think about it, I don't think he "created" orcs, considering that they were once elves??)

Nessa13 said...

I totally agree with both of you. I always thought is was ignorance and arrogance that have separated races from being in unity with one another instead of hating one another. Minority races through time have always received the short end of the stick so to say. The way I look at it is that we are all the same on the inside which counts way more than the way we judge purely upon the outside physical looks that are deemed more important in modern society today. Race can be such a harsh word and bring with it labeling that is unjust and unwarranted, especially to those who are labeled. Physical differences should not matter for it is what is on the inside that makes us truly who we are. I saw an article that said the only good orc is a dead orc and I totally disagree with that statement for where have we heard those words before in the history of our won Earth. Every race should be given a chance, an equal chance to thrive and show what they can do.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.