Pages

Monday, September 17, 2018

Lewis and Tolkien

Last week, we discussed a little bit of Tolkien and Lewis' friendship (or friendly rivalry). I searched a little more into it, and I discovered an article that highlighted the similarities in their upbringing and early years.
-both lost their mothers at an early age
-they made friendships with others who loved stories
-both were young soldiers in WWI on the French front
-both were wounded
-both saw death in battle
-both lost close friends due to the war

Their relationship was forged from not only common interests, but common experiences. I first read Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia before I even picked up one of Tolkien's books. Later, reading The Hobbit for the first time, I still had no idea of the relationship between the two authors. When I decided to dive deeper into Lewis' works by reading The Screwtape Letters, I noticed it was dedication to the one and only J.R.R. Tolkien. Still, I didn't think anything of it. Now, I discovered that Tolkien was disturbed that Lewis could write a book like this, dealing with demons and the devil. Tolkien didn't personally care for the book itself. Common experiences don't exactly result in common mindset. It's very intriguing to look deeper into these two great author's interactions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.