Snyder's biographical chapter on Tolkien mentions that the frequent moves Tolkien experienced as a child may have contributed to his feeling of "rootlessness". Snyder also says that Tolkien himself seemed to have little Tookish blood in him. Strangely enough, I feel that I relate to Tolkien in this way. As a child, my family moved somewhat frequently and because of that, I find it difficult to pinpoint exactly where I grew up. For me, experiencing different cultures across the country and learning to make new friends helped me grow as a person. On the other hand, it also gave me a longing for stability. I believe in Tolkien's case, his unstable childhood with frequent moves and the loss of his mother, contributed to his ability to write something so entrancing. Our experiences are what make our works vibrant and unique. Tolkien's feeling of rootlessness made his stories of travelers and adventures more real than they would have been had Tolkein's life not been uprooted. My family's frequent moves helped me to adapt quickly to new environments, but it came at the cost of not having roots firmly planted in one place. Tolkien was able to create a realistic and relatable world, but it came at the cost of having roots.
As I type this, I am intrigued by the whole theme of a person having roots and how this ties into the nature themes in Tolkien's works. Ideas?
-Vairë
1 comment:
I think it is interesting how you discuss Tookish blood in this way! I have always been rooted here, but I feel like I have Tookish blood in me as a result of my roots. What I found particularly interesting with your post was the aspect of instability. I think that while I feel restless occasionally because of my roots when I travel, I still want to travel and explore with stability. I think it is interesting how you relate to Tolkien and Tookish blood through rootlessness and I relate through having roots.
I think you are right with regards to Tolkien's constant moving having a profound effect on his writing. His ability to describe the adventuring feels as if they are his own adventures he has disguised. It is personal and raw. I think that Tolkien's stories would still have adventuring if he was rooted in one place, but I think the style might be different. What do you think?
-Uinen
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.