Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2018

On Balrogs (plus a super fun quick guide)

Hey Hobbitses,

When reading the Silmarillion for class this week, I came across a super exciting detail that I'd been wondering about since reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy: Balrogs.

pictured here, a kind and sweet boy
The one I knew the most about was obviously Durin's Bane, who Gandalf faced in the mines of Moria. It was related to a series of slightly vague mentionings about an evil under the earth that the Dwarves accidentally tapped by digging too deep. So, when the Silmarillion neatly tied that entire mystery up in a few pages, I was pretty delighted. So, without further ado, here's my Balrog quick guide:

Balrogs

Origin: Maiar corrupted by Melkor's influence
Height: Super tall (aka 2x the height of elves)
General vibe: Horrifying demons surrounded in a cloak of hellish fear and constant flame (aka are bad at wearing "raiment of Earth")
Fun fact: If Gandalf is a Maiar, and Balrogs are Maiar, AND so is Sauron, then what's the deal with that? I've heard that Sauron is a 'higher order' of Maiar but I'm not buying it.

2 comments:

Whitney Ricks said...

You're telling me that Gandalf was pulled into the dark abyss of Moria by his own kin?? *Mind blown*

Anyway...Balrogs seem like one of those things that Tolkien left underrated. Not that we don't know where they come from and where they can generally be found and how they look, but they don't play a huge role in The Silmarillion, The Hobbit, or The Lord of the Rings (except to frame the epic death and resurrection of our favorite wizard).

But it's really cool that Tolkien used such scary creatures to play a lesser role, because it makes even the lesser roles really epic.

Vána said...

Yeah, I guess that I personally wish the Balrogs were a smidge more sentient than theyŕe made out to be in lotr (from the basic research I did I think they come up more further into the Silmarillion, but not a ton).

Also, can we consider that there's a distinct possibility that outside of his awesome old-man wizard disguise, Gandalf could be super hot?

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.