Pages

Thursday, September 6, 2018

The Final Transformation of Bilbo Baggins

One of the more important themes in The Hobbit is the transformation of Bilbo Baggins from a seemingly insignificant and ever-hungry hobbit into a wise leader and the main hero of the narrative. His transformation can be seen most clearly in the chapter "Inside Information" when Bilbo lists his titles in the form of a riddle.

He says, "I am the clue-finder, the web-cutter, the stinging fly. I was chosen for the lucky number... I am he that buries his friends alive and drowns them and draws them alive again from the water. I came from the end of a bag, but no bag went over me... I am the friend of bears and the guest of eagles. I am Ringwinner and Luckwearer; and I am Barrel-rider." Even though Bilbo's riddling is less clever than he thinks because Smaug is able to deduce much from them, they illuminate his transformation by showing its entirety in one paragraph.

Bilbo's final transformation occurs in the chapter "A Thief in the Night". He tires of the quarrel between the dragon-sick dwarves and the men and elves over the treasure in the mountain. He takes The Arkenstone to Bard as a bargaining tool because he realizes that the treasure in the mountain is of no use to either party if they are all dead. With this action, his transformation becomes complete and his "Hobbitness" is clearly shown again. It was his desire to be back to the Shire and live the comfortable hobbit life that awaited him that allowed Bilbo to transform back into his original hobbit self and overcome his own dragon-sickness to give The Arkenstone to Bard, and save the lives of everyone in the process.

-Estë

2 comments:

Manwë said...

I thoroughly enjoy your discourse in regards to Bilbo's transformation within the novel. However, I feel that Bilbo's transformation is more of a gradual transformation throughout the novel. Whereas here you explain in a way in which it seems that you interpreted that transformation kinda in waves. I was wondering if you could elaborate on how you interpret the total transformation.
Thanks,
Manwë

Daniel said...

Hi Manwë,

I definitely agree with you that his transformation was gradual, but it can only be seen clearly during important events. (As mentioned in class, his transformation is seen most clearly when he is alone during an important event.) Because we only see his growth during these important events, we the readers don't see the gradual growth that is happening throughout the journey and it seems like he is growing in waves. Hope that helps!

Estë

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.