Pages

Thursday, September 13, 2018

Relevance Post - Tolkien transcends time and space

I think it would be fair to say that many of us in Dr. Donovan's class have learned more about Tolkien's works, or have at least had the opportunity to consider different perspectives on Tolkien, The Hobbit, and The Lord of the Rings.  I definitely have, and ever since learning more about Tolkien, I have seen him sneak his way into my life in many different ways. Recently, I met an exchange student at UNM who is from England, and when I talked to him about my Honors class that focused on Tolkien and his works, he was absolutely shocked. He thought it must be the absolute best class in the world (fair) and was excited that UNM offered such a specific and interesting course. Where I hadn't grown up on much Tolkien, he had. Where there were still many things I felt I didn't know about Tolkien and his works, he felt comfortable discussing them. This wasn't only because he had read the books, but because growing up Tolkien was a larger part of his life and his culture. While every person does have a different childhood, I thought it was interesting how great of an impact Tolkien had on his, and this was largely due to his location. I admire the effects Tolkien has on bringing people together regardless of their age and place in the world, and admire him for creating a world that is timeless and moves across borders.

-Melian

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.