Pages

Saturday, September 22, 2018

Aragon is a Unicorn

I often feel like i'm  shit posting on this blog but I swear these are thoughts that come to me while I sit and ponder. Hear me out, Unicorns are rare mythical creatures. Let's look at how they are represented in Harry Potter, they are so rare they are rarely spotted and live  in the depths of the Dark Forest. They are so powerful they sustain Voldemort's life in a state of near death. In general unicorns are beautiful and regal, Mysterious and powerful. They have an inert sort of magic that is never explicitly seen. Who else does this sound like? Aragon obviously, he is a rare creature even in the world of Tolkien, he is from an old line of men that carry Elvish blood. Elves and Men rarely mix. While he is humble and stern for the beginning of the books and often sitting in the background he becomes a leader and a king of men. I used the word become loosely because he was a king all along, he just wasn't ready to take his place at the throne. We however see his kingly characteristic throughout the books. He is looked upon for guidance. He is loved and honored for being a king among men. Like a unicorn being recognized as king among horses, the horn is his crown. Aragon also has an inert magic that is only there when needed, the healing hands. Maybe this is a product of a delusional mind but I see many parallels between the unique characteristics we have come to associate with unicorns and Aragon's character, we could say its his spirit animal.

1 comment:

Vána said...

If we're talking HP lore, then I'm only on board if we ALSO consider that Aragorn is Fawkes.

1. Fawkes basically delivers the sword of Gryffindor to Harry in Chamber of secrets (Aragorn "delivers" a.k.a brings his sword to a losing battle against a seemingly insurmountable evil in Return of the King).

2. Fawkes has healing tears. Aragorn has healing hands. Healing.

3. Fawkes suddenly looks young again after bursting into flame. Aragorn looks like he reverse-ages throughout lotr as he comes into his own.

That's basically the extent of the argument that I've got on this one, but if a unicorn is Aragorn's spirit animal, then Fawkes is his patronus.

Vána

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.