Pages

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

The Loss of Thorin and the Loss of My Mother, "Relevance Post"

In, we have just wrapped up The Hobbit and the ending happens to be very relevant to my own life and the transformation that came with it. Near the ending of The Hobbit, Thorin is lying near death and tells Bilbo, "No. There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. But sad or merry, I must leave it now. Farewell! Bilbo is deeply saddened at the loss of his friend and after some healing in The Lonely House, decided that home is where he belongs and his life must go on. He must go on and live as happily as he can, for the memory of Thorin and Fili and Kili. I recently lost my mother and when she passed, a huge part of me seemed to vanish. My second year here at school was a chaotic mess and one that I barely survived. I had no Lonely House to heal in but did have one person who I was able to talk to and help get over the dreaded sadness lingering from my mother's absence. I felt incomplete with my momma gone and needed to be reminded that life still goes on, that happiness can be obtained once again. These Honor's courses have helped my transformation into someone learning to be happy again after great tragedy and loss. I can relate to Bilbo's anguish over the loss of Thorin, his adventuring companion because I had a lifetime of adventures with my mom: the grandest adventure of all, life. There are lessons to be learned from loss of a loved one and the healing must happen in order for life to continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.