Pages

Thursday, September 20, 2018

Relevance Post: J.R.R. Tolkien Inspiration

When we were assigned to read about J.R.R. Tolkien's bibliography, I was impressed with his life and earlier influences. The man had an incredible life and has been an idol of mine for a very long time. I have often dreamed and desired to be a writer and particularly of the fantasy genre. I have written short stories and have actually dreamed of my own fantasy world. I have done some research and have a ton of ideas and incomplete thoughts, some on paper, and most in my mind. Taking this class has awakened the sleeping writer and storyteller in me fully awake and eager to fulfill the destiny that has been calling me since I was a young child eager to explore new worlds ever so enchanting. After reading about Tolkien's life and how fascinating it was, I have come to a conclusion that I must follow in this great man's steps and follow the dream that I have only dreamed about instead of turning into a stone cold reality. I was misinformed through advisement (not advisement here in Honors) that there was no writing major that I could take. I was excited to find out that UNM did have an English major that focused on creative writing. As soon as I could, I flew to English advisement and changed my major from Anthropology and minor in Psychology. My new major is now English with an emphasis on Creative Writing, and minors in Medieval Studies, Honors and a certificate in Professional Writing. And now for once I know that I will fulfill my dream of becoming a writer and my plans are to write a series of novels that will entertain generations of followers of the fantasy genre. A little inspiration was all that I needed in order to truly know what direction my studies would take me in obtaining my utmost grandest dream and desire, hidden way deep inside me, but now let loose with a fierce hunger to be the storyteller I have always wanted to be. Mr. Tolkien, all I can say is thank you kind sir, from the bottom of my heart and soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.