Pages

Wednesday, September 5, 2018

The Hobbit a Children's book

Tolkien’s book The Hobbit is considered a children’s book because the use of language is simple enough to be understood by children but complex enough to challenge them to broaden their vocabulary. This use of simple language and a shorter narrative is very different from Tolkien’s other stories, specifically The Silmarillion and The Lord of the Rings which are both very long and use a higher vocabulary. The story is also very much a coming of age story. A young and immature individual (or at least young in comparison to the lifespan of a Hobbit) is thrown into an epic journey where his beliefs and way of life are challenged for the better ultimately resulting in a widening worldview and personal growth. This story archetype is usually aimed at 11 to 13-year-olds who are experiencing life-altering changes that require them to change certain worldview they may have had in their childhood and experience personal growth. I find that that the Hobbit for most normal boys and girls would be ideally read at this age because it would be at the age when it is most relatable. It was probably read sooner by a bunch of nerds, and I say that in the most loving way, who now obsess over all of Tolkien’s works. However, as Tolkien himself most cleverly said in his letter adults can extract even more from these so-called children’s stories and should therefore also read them

1 comment:

Nessa13 said...

I couldn't agree with you more. As well as the fact that it is an adventure as well and would that children would crave for in their early years. Children delight in reading about the impossible; of monsters in the attic, of sasquatch in the forests, of dinosaurs roaming the earth, rocket trips to the stars, and of dragons flying high in the skies. Everything about The Hobbit is different than The Lord of the Rings as far as context, style and complexity. Never in my life would I have thought I would be taking a college course where I get to analize J.R.R. Tolkien's epic works.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.