Pages

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Understanding Influences

Does an understanding of Tolkien's medieval sources influence or change your understanding of Tolkien's fictional works? Is it important to study such influences in a class such as ours? Why or why not?

3 comments:

Ashley Cauley said...

I think it is important to understand the medieval influences on Tolkien's work in order to more fully appreciate Tolkien's ability as a writer. Specifically, reading Mallory was somewhat torturous for me, but I liked the idea brought up in class of Aragorn being a negative example of Arthur. This makes a lot of sense to me, and I am glad that Tolkien was able to wirte a much better, somewhat medieval tale.

Morgan Ching said...

I too felt it important to understand Tolkien's medieval influences. Both Beowulf and Mallory helped me understand Tolkien's background as a writer, scholar, and an Englishman. Knowing the other "mythological" roots of England and the surrounding areas revealed why Tolkien felt the need to create a mythology of his own. Before reading Beowulf and the Mallory, I viewed Tolkien as an exceptional fantasy writer. Understanding his intellectual background only improved my liking for his works.

Anonymous said...

I think reading some medieval texts definitely brought to light some of the medieval themes present in Tolkien's works. Such as the quest and slaying the evil monster of a dragon or Sauron. It is important to understand the medieval works that influences Tolkien's works.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.