These are the archives from 2010-2018 for the discussion forum hosted by the UNM Hobbit Society at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, NM, USA. The purpose of our group is to meet and associate with others interested in Tolkien, and to learn more about the author, his written works, and his sources through discussion, guest lectures and academically oriented activities. This blog is intended to expand discussion among UNM Hobbit Society members beyond what meeting times allow.
Tuesday, April 12, 2011
Odin, Thor, and Tolkien
We touched on this briefly in class today, but I wanted to follow it up on our blog. What is the relationship between Odin and Tolkien's texts? What about the relationship between Thor and any of Tolkien's Middle-earth texts? Some scholars consider Gandalf related to Odin; while other scholars say they have little similarity. Some scholars say Thor is too human to be a "god" and, therefore, he is more similar to the heroic humans-- Argorn, Boromir, Isildur, etc-- in Tolkien's texts. What do you think? Are Thor and Odin presented in The Prose Edda as gods? Does Tolkien insert something of their characters into his own?
1 comment:
I think that Odin and Thor are very different from the "gods" Tolkien uses. I deffinitely see Odin as a god because he is very knowledgeable and wise. Thor, on the other hand, does not seem very godlike apart from his strength. He seemed too hot-headed (like when he kicked that dwarf at Baldr's funeral) and foolish to be a true god.
I don't really see the connection between Odin or Thor and Tolkien. Odin could be compared to Iluvatar, but it could be argued that Iluvatar is a manifestation of God rather than Odin. I also don't see any Thor-like characters in Tolkien's works. None of the "gods" are extremely short-tempered or gullible.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.