These are the archives from 2010-2018 for the discussion forum hosted by the UNM Hobbit Society at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, NM, USA. The purpose of our group is to meet and associate with others interested in Tolkien, and to learn more about the author, his written works, and his sources through discussion, guest lectures and academically oriented activities. This blog is intended to expand discussion among UNM Hobbit Society members beyond what meeting times allow.
3 comments:
I was just talking to someone about this (someone who had read the whole Silmarillion), and they said that there's some debate (because Tolkien doesn't make it exactly clear) over whether the Istari are also Maiar, or what. I guess I don't have an answer, only that I would like to know, too! :)
I also wonder how Saruman got to be head of the White Council if Gandalf was such an important Maiar. I know Galadriel fought for Gandalf to lead the Council. Was Gandalf's true identity unknown even to his fellow Council members? And maybe Galadriel had forsight and knew who she was actually dealing with in Gandalf/Olorin. Sorry, I just added a bunch more questions, but I'm curious about this too!
Actually, iirc, the Istari were Maiar. And think of Istari as like lesser angels. So the Istari were chosen from the Maiar. So Maiar =/= Istari but Istari = Maiar. And according to the Encyclopedia of Arda, he is "In origin a Maia of Manwe and Varda".
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.