These are the archives from 2010-2018 for the discussion forum hosted by the UNM Hobbit Society at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, NM, USA. The purpose of our group is to meet and associate with others interested in Tolkien, and to learn more about the author, his written works, and his sources through discussion, guest lectures and academically oriented activities. This blog is intended to expand discussion among UNM Hobbit Society members beyond what meeting times allow.
Tuesday, April 19, 2011
Turin and Balin Comparison
I thought the characters of Turin from The Silmarillion and Balin from King Arthur definitely paralleled each other. I feel so bad for them both because it seems like literally everything that could go wrong in their lives, does go wrong! They both have super unfortunate lives, and I think a lot of that is due to the fact that both are placed under curses. Turin is plagued by the curse placed upon his father, Hurin, by Morgoth - Morgoth basically said, "Screw you, Hurin, and your wife and children." And Balin is afflicted with the curse of the damsel from whom he gets his first sword - because he won't return the sword to her, the lady dooms him to kill the man he loves most in the world, which ends up being his brother, Balan. Surprise! Another parallel! Both Turin and Balin kill their best friends. I'm sure there are more similarities that I'm just not thinking of right now...thoughts?
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.