These are the archives from 2010-2018 for the discussion forum hosted by the UNM Hobbit Society at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, NM, USA. The purpose of our group is to meet and associate with others interested in Tolkien, and to learn more about the author, his written works, and his sources through discussion, guest lectures and academically oriented activities. This blog is intended to expand discussion among UNM Hobbit Society members beyond what meeting times allow.
2 comments:
Just to extend it past Gods:
When Saruman took over the Shire, it seemed as if there was an even greater hierarchy. Then, the hobbits rebelled and reclaimed the Shire. The Shire seems to become more democratic afterward. I agree that hierarchy can provokes rebellion in the Silmarillion, and I just thought it was interesting that Tolkien also creates a correlation between heirachy and rebellion in the Shire, as well.
Just look a this issue from a basic historical perspective. Periods of great revolutions, political, social, artistic, or religious, have stemmed from dissatisfaction with hierarchy or a desire to instate a new order. I think that Tolkien plays around with this idea in really subtle and interesting ways. I love his idea of "discord in the choir"-- something that begins so subtle, a single note out of harmony, eventually becomes the rebellion that shapes the balance of good and evil in Middle-earth. The lesson I'd draw from this is that a desire for order and security is a natural human trait, and rebellion and conflict are often the natural byproduct.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.