These are the archives from 2010-2018 for the discussion forum hosted by the UNM Hobbit Society at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, NM, USA. The purpose of our group is to meet and associate with others interested in Tolkien, and to learn more about the author, his written works, and his sources through discussion, guest lectures and academically oriented activities. This blog is intended to expand discussion among UNM Hobbit Society members beyond what meeting times allow.
Saturday, April 9, 2011
Tolkien's ladies
I think it's interesting how Tolkien in some ways uses women to directly contrast the greatest evil. In LOTR, Eowyn destroys the Witch-King who is basically the essence of evil. In The Silmarillion, Melkor fears and hates Varda/Elbereth above all others. Although a lot of people complain about Tolkien's lack of female characters, I think he more than makes up for it in the way he portrays these women. Oftentimes, they do what the men cannot.
1 comment:
I see what you're saying but I still think women are underplayed in LotR. The majority of the text doesn't really talk about women in Middle-earth in general. I'm not saying Tolkien was sexist or anything, but their daily roles aren't ever really explained whereas we follow a group of men for the whole text. Obviously women didn't go to battle, unless they are cool like Eowyn, but I think woman play vital roles in wartime that Tolkien left out.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.