These are the archives from 2010-2018 for the discussion forum hosted by the UNM Hobbit Society at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, NM, USA. The purpose of our group is to meet and associate with others interested in Tolkien, and to learn more about the author, his written works, and his sources through discussion, guest lectures and academically oriented activities. This blog is intended to expand discussion among UNM Hobbit Society members beyond what meeting times allow.
Tuesday, April 12, 2011
Realistic Mythology
In my freewrite today, I was talking about how Tolkien took a lot of ideas from The Prose Edda about how to write a really good mythology and make it seem real. I think all of the descriptions and back-stories and family trees definately add the depth to the characters that make them seem like real people. One thing I thought he might have gotten from here (or at least a similarity between the two) was how the author of the Prose Edda would say how some people had different names. I think that actually adds to the reality of the people (although it's very confusing!). Behind each of the different names that one person has is another story: another place he went that gave him a different name or some great deed he did that left him with a new name. Each of the names gives us a little more insight into their lives and it makes them seem real. I also thought that the verse that was in The Prose Edda might have influenced Tolkien adding verse to the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit. I think these verses also add to the reality of the myth because the verses tell a history of the people from the perspective of people in the past. It is a glimpse into a history that we can then believe in. Each of these ideas or themes adds depth to Tolkiens' works and makes them more believable for the reader.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.