These are the archives from 2010-2018 for the discussion forum hosted by the UNM Hobbit Society at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, NM, USA. The purpose of our group is to meet and associate with others interested in Tolkien, and to learn more about the author, his written works, and his sources through discussion, guest lectures and academically oriented activities. This blog is intended to expand discussion among UNM Hobbit Society members beyond what meeting times allow.
Saturday, October 20, 2018
Tom Bombadil
Originally I was not going to post about Tom Bombadil because I though many would, seeing that thus far no one has I will take the liberty of doing so. Like many of Tolkien’s character’s, Tom is very complex and that makes him hard to understand at times. While we are pretty sure he is good there are times when his actions contradict what we know of him. Tom tells the Hobbit’s he doesn’t want to be involved with the ring but he still asks to see it and he plays around with it. He continues to show disinterest by basically scoffing at it, as if making fun of those fighting over it. Another time when Bombadil’s actions are questionable is when you read the poems about him in Tolkien’s Reader you discover that he basically saw Goldberry by the river one day, became obsessed with her, and stole her away from what he considered an overprotective mom. Now I don’t know how people reading this feel about that but I think that is pretty sketchy. It only makes it worse that his excuse for leaving the party is that Goldberry is waiting for him, at first I thought it was sweet, now I am wondering if he doesn’t want her to run away. On the flip side of this Bombadil saves the Hobbit’s twice, once from old man willow and once from the Burrow-wights, when he normally doesn’t go out of his way to help anyone else. I’m still very on the fence about my feelings about Tom Bombadil, specifically because he kidnapped Goldberry, but I do wonder what other’s opinions are?
1 comment:
This is definitely an interesting take on Tom Bombadil. I have to say that although your argument makes good sense, I don't think Tom is as bad as all of that.
First, I think that there is evidence in the fact that Tom doesn't actually care for the ring (as he claims) because of the fact that it has no effect on him at all. Everyone else is afraid to wield it, and especially to put it on, and Tom blatantly disrespects and disregards its power and reputation by "toying" with the ring. There is a moment, as we discussed in class, where he appears to have a big green eye showing through. I think that this, contrasting Sauron's big red eye, I think is symbolic of the inherent good in Tom Bombadil. I also believe that the ring brings out each person's inner desires, just as Galadriel notes to Frodo. This could mean that Tom Bombadil has no such evil desire that the ring could tempt or assist in attaining.
In terms of "kidnapping" Goldberry, I'd say I disagree that this is the case. We don't know how old Goldberry was when they met, and it remains apparent that she loves him as well and enjoys her life with him. Maybe she was an older girl, with a crazy mom, who fell in love with Tom.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.