These are the archives from 2010-2018 for the discussion forum hosted by the UNM Hobbit Society at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, NM, USA. The purpose of our group is to meet and associate with others interested in Tolkien, and to learn more about the author, his written works, and his sources through discussion, guest lectures and academically oriented activities. This blog is intended to expand discussion among UNM Hobbit Society members beyond what meeting times allow.
Saturday, October 6, 2018
relevance post about art
I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Tolkien as an artist because it felt like I could relate to him as a person, I feel that as a fan of his works it is sometimes important to find some sort of common ground which was very hard for me at times as a modern woman. I related more specifically to where it mentions that he wasn’t confident in his artwork but he was very encouraged by his publishers accolades. I am a minor in art and have been passionate about drawing and painting for as long as I can remember, my mother has a collection of my very early childhood drawings which I look back upon in horror. Like Tolkien I often look at my work as poor quality and more for myself than anyone else, but I am still completely flattered when someone compliments on one of my paintings and it encourages me to continue painting. Also like Tolkien one of my favorite mediums is water colors, I enjoy how they can be very bright and vivid or a little washed out giving a bit of a fantastical illusion. While I am less skilled at it I also love ink paintings. The third thing I related to Tolkien as an artist is the inability to draw the human form, and therefore opting to solely portray landscapes and symbols. It was definitely interesting to find that I can relate to Tolkien on something so both independent and very intrinsic to his work.
2 comments:
Aulë,
Reading your post gave me a lot of comforts, as I too enjoy working with art and feel like my work is inadequate. I too found it easier to relate to Tolkien as an artist because I find that I often get caught up in all of his accolades. I enjoy working with ink and watercolors, so seeing Tolkien's work encouraged me to work harder and try to branch out more. I think that having the ability to relate to Tolkien encouraged me to work more and harder at my art! Is that something you experienced too?
Uinen
Oh yeah, absolutely!
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.