Pages

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Significance of the seemingly Insignificant

Good morning all!

I have been writing letters over the past couple months for various reasons, and as I was writing one yesterday I had a moment of appreciation for how much can be understood from small bits of information.

Yesterday, we were talking about small excerpts of Tolkien's work that had much greater importance and implication than one would think. I was surprised and amazed by how much a couple of sentences could do. What I mean by this is, with the 2 sentences about gifts, we were able to gain a deeper understanding of Hobbits, Bilbo, and the social conduct Hobbits exhibit. In another case, the specific wording (and to some extent, it was one word that drove the point) was used to portray the depth and personality of Hobbits. While I was writing, I noticed how my syntax and vocabulary has changed to express more in fewer words and I think being in this class and focusing on Tolkien's work has influenced that.

Has anyone else had a sudden strike of understanding or something similar to what I experienced? I think it is amazing how much this class has changed my perspective in such a short amount of time!

Uinen

2 comments:

Ossö said...

I definitely agree with you. All of the sections we went over had pieces of the seemingly insignificant tied into them. I feel as if this also ties in to the fact that in life, even the littlest of an action can have a huge affect on anything. Sometimes, we do need to work to find that deeper meaning though. Words themselves are very powerful, and Tolkien sure knew how to use his. I liked that you pointed out about the gifts specifically how much it can reveal about a culture in so few words. This class has not only made me enjoy Tolkien's works more than I could have even imagined, it has changed how I view the world itself.

Timber said...

Hi Uinen,

This is a wonderful post! Thank you for sharing your personal experience and your realization. Words are extremely powerful and when we are able to really drive home the point of a writer with very few words talent has to be involved. Personally, I have a very hard time summing things up quickly. Although Tolkien writes in prose, he also has experience in poetry and through writing poetry is the only time I have ever successfully communicated complex thoughts and feelings with very few words or sentences. I really admire Tolkien's ability to place great importance on things that might not seem important. Thank you for pointing it out in your post.

-Melian

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.