Ungoliant
![]() |
Pictured here is a very tactile version of nothingness |
Origin: Unclear. Is she part of the very fabric of nothingness? Maybe. That's my favorite theory.
Height: Again unclear. Here's what I found: "swelled to a shape so vast and hideous that Melkor was afraid.” and Melkor is around a Balrog's size. Let's say she's the same size as Aragog.
General vibe: Gross as all get-out, enormous enough to scare the most powerful Valar, glamorous.
Fun fact: Shelob is Ungoliant's child somehow, which is weird because how big were the normal spiders she was mating with in the first place? Which of the Valar decided they wanted giant spiders?

2 comments:
I can't remember if the giant spiders in Mirkwood are described as the spawn of Ungoliant but if not, then I theorize Ungoliant mated with them to produce Shelob. Since Shelob was so much bigger than the spiders in Mirkwood, I think it's likely she secluded herself to catch larger prey by herself in the darkness of Mordor.
As for which of the Valar wanted giant spiders in the first place...I imagine it would be Yavanna, who made the plants and animals of Arda, or Tulkas, who created monstrously large arachnids for a challenging hunt.
-Varda*
Varda,
giant spiders seem like a terrible judgment call. Thank you so much for providing more background information!
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.