Pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Tolkien and Power

For starters giving me very little guidelines for what I must write in my blogs and giving me a pseudonym is giving me way too much power, I like it. On that same note, I would like to discuss Tolkien’s use of power in his story as described by him in his Letter to Milton Waldman. Tolkien says that the word power in his books always carries a negative connotation, the only exception is when its associated with the Valar (@me). We can see this most clearly in “The ring of Power”, this ring holds extraordinary power and gives the wielder the power to accomplish all his wildest dreams, but we must be wary since this ring will corrupt the wielders purest wishes into a Machiavellian endeavor. This is an interesting view of power since in our modern American values having power is always a good thing, we have sayings like “knowledge is power” in order to motivate children to learn. However, there is also the not so positive and often not talked about the assumption that with money comes power. Does this mean that our perception of power comes from innocence and our faith in humanity’s innate goodness or was Tolkien oversimplifying the role of power in a society?

2 comments:

Whitney Ricks said...

Hey Aule!

One of my favorite aspects of LOTR is the selective power of the ring. It is EVIL and can only be used for EVIL. Crazy!

As far as the American view on power, I think every individual assumes their way is the best way, but everyone is perfectly imperfect (point proven by the pride behind each person's assumption that they deserve power). So, everyone WANTS to do the right thing (for which they need power to effect it), but we all differ in our opinions about what is "right."

Maybe the real question is: "How do we define what is 'right'?" And then, "Who should have the power to take action and effect what is right?"

Manwë said...

Aulë,

First I would like to say that I find your preliminary sentence exactly the kind of power usage Tolkien would have used in a similar discussion on American views of power. At least from an American perspective, humans are by nature capitalists. We want power and as much of it as possible. However, this is not because we simply want power; We very specifically want to be better than those around us.

Furthermore, I would argue that the American perception of power is a by product of the political institutions in place in this nation. This causing a deep rooted distrust of those who have power, while also putting in place a need for individuals to gain as much power as possible.

If I may...
Arien,
I feel as if my response to Aulë furthers your perspective on American views on power. Because I definitely believe that my opinion is the correct one. But I thoroughly enjoy your posing of the question "How do we define what is 'right'?" I feel that along side that question we should ask, when having a discussion about "right-ness", "should we focus on what is right for the many or what is right for the few?"

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.