Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2018

Nessa: The Power of a Name

My pseudonym is Nessa which comes from the Quenya neth ("young"). She is called the Dancer and is a Queen of the Valar. Two earlier names for Nessa were Helinyetille, the "Eyes of Heartsease", from helin ("violet, pansy") and Melesta, from mele ("to love"). She is the sister of Örome. She married Tulkas the Strong in the Spring of Arda. Lithe and swift of foot and always appearing young, she loved running with the deer and was faster than them. Before the Isle of Almaren was destroyed, she loved dancing the green fields of Almaren, which was the first home to the Valar. Later she continued her dances on the always beautifully green grasses of Valnor. Nessa and Tulkas' household was always lively and full of good times and revelry, she would be known to serve wine to her husband and his great warrior champions after their bouts of strength and other feats. After the Ñolder fled to Middle-earth, Nessa and most of the other Valar desired the same peace and quiet they had during their ancient days of Valinor. Wishing to be away from Melkor and the Ñolder, the Valar choose the Hiding of Valinor to assure their people and way of life would remain safe and in peaceful harmony.

2 comments:

Vána said...

Nessa,

My pseudonym and yours have some connections- Vána's spouse, Orome, is the brother of Nessa. Vána also robed Nessa in flowers for her wedding. They are also both Queens of Valar. Iḿ wondering if you know more about the Hiding of Valinor- it is a topic that interests me, but I want to know more about.

Also, why do you think the name was changed? Especially given that the name was changed twice: do you think there is a significance to that? I love the connections to traditional rural life in England woven into Tolkien's work, especially when put into the frame of gods and goddesses of an English landscape.

Thanks,

Vána

Nessa13 said...

I am also interested in the history of the Valar. As soon as I find out more, I will let you know. I find it captivating how many different mythologie that helped Tolkien come up with his epic fantasy story. I look forward to conversing more on this topic with you.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.