I feel like if Tolkien was using "Leaf by Niggle" to express some sort of personal/autobiographical commentary, that it would make him sound a tad pompous. Not to a point where I stop respecting him though. I just feel like Niggle gets really frustrated in the beginning of the story because not everyone appreciates his painting. In the end though, I think it would be very interesting if this story was autobiographical because we see Niggle get sucked into his own work. I think we would all like to feel like Tolkien was so involved in creating Middle-earth that at times he too may have felt like he was there, just like we feel like we are there when we read "The Lord of the Rings." I think part of this comes from how detailed Tolkien gets when he writes. His descriptions are so in-depth and I thought it was really cute that the special thing about Niggle's paintings was how detailed his leaves are.
These are the archives from 2010-2018 for the discussion forum hosted by the UNM Hobbit Society at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, NM, USA. The purpose of our group is to meet and associate with others interested in Tolkien, and to learn more about the author, his written works, and his sources through discussion, guest lectures and academically oriented activities. This blog is intended to expand discussion among UNM Hobbit Society members beyond what meeting times allow.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.